Narcotics Anonymous is well-known for its 12-step program and the 12-step traditions that continue to hold it together. Here is a list explaining them to those who want to understand Narcotics Anonymous better.
- We admit we are powerless over our addiction. Our lives have become unmanageable.
- We believe that a Power higher than ourselves can restore us to sanity.
- We have decided to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God.
- We have made a searching moral inventory.
- We admit to God, to ourselves, and to another human being our wrongs.
- We are ready to have God remove these defects of character.
- We have asked him to remove our shortcomings.
- We have made a list of people we have harmed, and are willing to make amends.
- We have made direct amends people whenever possible, except if it would hurt them to do so.
- We keep taking personal inventory and admit when we are wrong.
- We seek through prayer and meditation to improve our contact with God and pray only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Have had a spiritual awakening thanks to these steps and we try to carry this message to addicts and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
- Our common welfare comes first.
- There is only one ultimate authority—a loving God as he may express Himself in our group conscience.
- The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using.
- Every group is autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or NA as a whole.
- Every group has one primary purpose—to carry our message to addicts who still suffer.
- A NA group never endorses, finances, or lends the NA name to any related facility or outside the enterprise. It could interfere with our primary purpose.
- Every NA group is entirely self-supporting.
- Narcotics Anonymous, but our service centers may employ special workers.
- NA should never be organized, but we may have service boards or committees.
- Narcotics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues.
- Our public relations is to attraction rather than promotion.
- Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our Traditions, remember that our principles come before our personalities.